Social Justice Group
Mission: To provide information to the parish community about current and continuing social justice issues as well as encouraging individual and group action.
The St Aloysius Social Justice Group (SJG) was formed late 1980’s.
Its current members (February 2022) are:
Frank O’Driscoll (Convenor), Fr James McCarthy (Parish Priest), Mary Ball, John Bainbridge, Fran D’Ambra, Toni Downes, Chris Egan, Br Phillip Elwin, Mary Fennell, John Fitzgerald, Melanie Headley, Patricia Hickey, Barry Jacobs, Kayla Neale.
Our current areas of focus are:
- Indigenous Recognition. Established on going relationship with the La Perouse Aboriginal Catholic Community.
- Climate Change. Focus on Pope Francis’ Encyclical, ‘Laudato Si’: ‘Care for Our Common Home’.
- Have established a St Aloysius Earth Care Group
- Migrants and Refugees. Support of the Jesuit Refugee Service.
- Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery. Awareness raising and representation to State Government.
- Social Justice issues; Youth Mental Health, Affordable Housing and Homelessness, Domestic Violence
- Timor Leste, village community of HatoUdo (Province of Ainaro).
‘Friendship across the Sea’. High School and Vocational Education sponsorships.
Financial and Training support for local bakery.
What we do:
Since 2014 we have been supporting a village community in HatoUdo, Timor Leste, to achieve financial and sustainable security.
- With the assistance of a generous grant and the ongoing support of our parishioners we have funded a bakery in HatoUdo which the locals operate.
- We have provided high school and vocational education sponsorships to local students.
- One weekend a month, members of our SJG sell Fair Trade chocolates after each mass to support these programs.
We support food collection/ donations for the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS). When needed, boxes are in the foyer of the Church and members of our group deliver the items to the JRS Collection Centre at Parramatta. We also assist the JRS in delivering the foodstuffs to refugees.
We make representations to our politicians when we see injustices and we participate in events and campaigns which support these areas of concern.
We support initiatives undertaken by Sydney Alliance, ARRCC and Justice and Peace Office of the Sydney Archdiocese.
Justice and Peace Office: The Justice and Peace Office advises the leaders and agencies of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney to enable the Church to respond to social issues from a Catholic perspective. Website: http://justiceandpeace.org.au/
Sydney Alliance: The Sydney Alliance brings together diverse community organisations, unions and religious organisations to advance the common good and achieve a fair, just and sustainable city.
ARRCC: (Australian Religious Response to Climate Change) Is a multi-faith, member-based organisation of people from around Australia who are committed to taking action on climate change.
We welcome new members and invite you to contact one of our members if you are interested in the joining the SJG. We meet once a month in the Parish Meeting Room.
For dates of our meetings or to contact SJG members you are very welcome to do so via our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/849774372196604/about